Thursday, January 4, 2007

housecleaning

For the past few days, I've been chiseling away at the various messes surrounding, impeding, and constituting me.

  • I made the annual trip to the office supply store for files, labels, sticky notes, and binder clips of three sizes. I started making piles in my home office to be further harnessed by the abovementioned supplies.
  • I spent over three hours over two days cleaning off my virtual desktop. About halfway through the task, I realized that I had nearly 200 documents (mostly resting in one virtual pile in the top righthand corner of the screen) that needed to be filed or trashed. And, of course, I had to open the majority of said documents given my inability to recall the significance of titles such as "fac memo 3-06." Often, I found myself wondering why I downloaded and saved certain documents in the first place. On the other hand, I found quite a few essays that will be quite useful in my current and upcoming projects.
  • I spent another three hours focused on my email. After deleting 10 of the 320 pages of messages in my Inbox, I did a quick calculation and learned that, with 25 messages per page, I had 8,000 messages just sitting there. If it took me three hours to delete 250 messages--and these deletions were easy (mostly old listserv crap)--how long will it take to get through the remaining 7,750? Errr. Make that 7,759. I got 9 messages today. All work-related. All yet to be addressed.
  • Yesterday, I met with my therapist. (I need to give her a pseudonym. I've been seeing her for a year and a half, but haven't talked about her. Hmmm. Probably because we do lots of hard work together that I'd rather not go into here. Overall, though, she brings me such peace. Let's call her "Serenity.") We did our usual thing--focused on how I can handle better the maelstrom of my emotions and the required clean-up that follows--then our talk made a surprising turn. Serenity started asking me about Dr. Spanky. Seems Spanky is overstepping his bounds a bit, by Serenity's estimation. She thinks he's engaging in therapy with me just a leeetle bit too much. Plus, Spanky doesn't consult with her. A big no-no in co-care of a patient/client. Seems to me Spanky's going to get a talking-to. So, while I felt pretty good about our session yesterday, I may have messed up Dr. Spanky's day a leeetle bit. Oops.
  • Finally, I've spent some time cleaning up my Bloglines account and my Blogroll. Check out the roll! If I missed anyone who would like to be added, just email me and I'll get you on the roll. Unless you're, like, creepy or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment